Friday, August 31, 2007

Target - School - Toilet Paper

I suppose if I'm sticking this picture in, the title should be No Pants - Nebulizer - Spider. Just random stuff in the picture. This was the day the kids were muddy and the boy's hadn't gotten clean pants on when I took it. And there is my big five-year-old school girl! Where do the years go?! I know she was just born last week. It feels like it.

I've been remiss in letting you know that our eldest is going to school...in five days!

Ok. Mostly because we've been a little busy and partly because we didn't know. That she was going in five days, that is. There was an open house on Thursday night which we heard about at the local cafe when we went for lunch. On Thursday.

Sara said she'd mentioned it to me a couple of days ago but neither of us had gotten any information from the school - until Thursday. We just keep shaking our heads about the lack of communication with our school. I'm loving the small town and the small town school, but not so much the lack of communication from the school to the parents. ;) (Oh. They put it in the newspaper! - We didn't pick up the paper this week). Still, newspaper aside, there's much to be desired when parents of first-time school kids aren't notified ahead of time.

So, off we ran to Target today. The drive north is so beautiful. I love it! Our nearest Target is not so near but it's a very pretty area. I'd seen a really cute backpack (Hello Kitty) in the ad a couple of weeks ago. And I wanted to investigate the toilet paper holder thing.

What luck! I got one for under 8 bucks. Not on sale. Not too bad, I think. And a matching towel holder. (I'll get pictures later...once they're hung up). Oh the little things I get excited about lately. But It'll be nice not to have to reach around behind oneself to grab the toilet paper anymore.

Nikayda is so excited! Little does she know that her mother is sitting here feeling more and more apprehensive as the day closes-in. I didn't think I'd be like this. I've never felt sad about her going to school. Not once. Until a day or so ago, and each day as it gets nearer, I feel like dragging my heels in the dirt and holding onto time as long as I can.

But I have to let go. I know. It's part of life. I have to let her go out into this big ol' world and let her grow up. But I so don't want to. I want her to stay young and innocent for awhile longer. But she is so excited. She can hardly wait. I wonder if she'll be able to sleep on Tuesday night. Her first day is next Wednesday. I think all of the kids from church are in her class. And there are a bunch! I'm so happy about that. (That means that Will is in her class too). She'll be going to school with good kids because there are a lot of them from splits as well. Only a couple who aren't. At her table, in her class, there are 5 kids and I think 3 or 4 of them are from church.

When we got home from Target...

Nikayda: Mom. I was so excited on the way home.
Me: Why?
Nikayda: Because I get to go to school!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i CANNOT believe that that girl is old enough to go to school! she still seems so little!

Anonymous said...

HOLY COW!!!! i cant believe shes going school!!!

KS said...

Oh I remember sending Emmet off, he was proud as a peacock, we took pictures, smiled as his Dad drove him off and waving. Then the dam broke loose and the tear gates opened. But.............he survived his first day, came home with proud papers and a smile from ear to ear. They turn so big all the sudden.

Here.........Cam starts and he is counting the days til "he can ride the twinkie". He is so pumped and now I will have Haydes bawling because he thinks he is going to go to school too. Sorry, just story time with Max once a week.

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Kate ~ Aapo's going to be bawling over here, too. He wants to go to school like no other. Every day, he asks me if we're going to go get his "Spider Man" Backpack!! Lol! :)

Anonymous said...

spider man :P haha.. but that little girl is -not- old enough to go to school.. holy cats!

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Yeah, he thinks he's getting a Spider Man bedroom. Lol! :) (Sorry little guy, it's vintage car stuff instead). ;) I'm just hoping I can find a Spider Man nightlight or something little like that because he's obsessed. He wants and I quote "A Spider Man pillow, a Spider Man bed, a Spider Man pack-pack, and a Spider Man radio".

I kid you not.

His mom's not into cartoony, animated anything...and I've no idea where this fascination with Spider Man comes from. I don't even know *how* he knows who he is! We've gotten some Spider Man toys in cereal boxes and Kid's Meals but that's it.

Apparently the little water toy made quite an impression on him.

Anonymous said...

How fun for Nikayda! I hope it all goes smoothly.

emily :)