Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Two Cute Little Boys

Danny

Will


I'm dedicating this post to my baby brother, Danny, and my nephew, Will. Danny's not much of a "baby" anymore at 11! I can hardly believe he's that old. He was born the winter after I graduated from high school. In fact, he was the baby when I moved away from home and he was, by far, the most difficult to leave behind. He was and is such a ray of sunshine. I used to love taking him with me when I'd run to the store or other errands. Even on trips home while I was single, it was so fun to take him out with me.

Little did we know when we were younger, that we were to be blessed with such a special little guy. (Make that two). :) His birth made such an impact on all of us. It was life changing, really. Something that you can't explain to those who aren't blessed with such a special child. He was the most adorable little baby ever. He has warmed our hearts a million times over with his crazy ways and silly antics. He does everything "Danny-style" as many of you have seen first-hand and on posts on my mom's blog, and you can't help but laugh. Most of the time, that's just what he wants. He loves to make people laugh.

And he loves to tell people that he loves them. He loves everyone. And sometimes, I think he truly means it. He tells his bus driver, the librarian, his teacher, the man walking by on the street, the cashier at the grocery store... Pretty much anyone he meets. At home, he has a habit of telling you that he loves you about 100 times a day. :) Although, sometimes that can drive you crazy, (Lol. ;) you gotta love a kid who's so full of love for everyone. We could all learn from that. ;)

I'm not exaggerating either. I brought him to the store one time and as he was getting his treat from the cashier, he turned around and said,"I love you," as he was saying goodbye. They didn't understand him and I quickly ushered him away. Lol. But he really says that to everyone. :)

I have so many cute pictures of him. Makes me really wish I had a scanner so I could post a bunch of them. The reason I wrote this post is because I was just on a craft blog and discovered there is a whole set of Down Syndrome pictures on Flickr! It was so fun to see so many beautiful little faces. I have such a weak spot for babies in general, but that doesn't even compare to little Down's babies. They're so beautiful!

The kids and I recently met a little boy with Down Syndrome named Phil. He's just gorgeous. I wish I had a picture of him! We met him at the beach, last summer. He didn't remember us but I remembered him because he's so cute. :) We ran into him again at Wal-Mart a couple of months ago. He's so handsome with dark hair and stylish little glasses. And he's really well mannered. He was so cute talking to the kids while I chatted with his mom. She's a school teacher in a nearby town. I sure hope we'll run into them again...maybe at the beach or school. He goes to the same school that Nikayda will, so I'm sure we'll see him again. :)

My original intent was to dedicate this post to Danny but I couldn't do a post about Danny without mentioning Will (5 yrs. old). :) We've been truly blessed with two very special and amazing little boys in our lives! Jon and (my sister) Sara's little Will has Williams Syndrome. It's a similar syndrome to Down's - only different. I'm not really sure how to begin to describe the difference. Either way, a description of the syndrome does not make the boy. They are each their own beautiful person with their own beautiful personalities. I've linked both syndromes to Wikipedia. I don't know which site would be the best as far as descriptions, so I went with that. But at the bottom of each Wikipedia page is a list of sites. :)

I love to see the two of them together. I know mom and dad have some cute pictures of them. (Mom, I wish you'd post one). :) I know there is at least one that I absolutely love. I wish I had a copy. I think it was from when Sar was home one time. From last year...or the year before...?

We never talk much about the fact that Danny has Down Syndrome or that Will has Williams Syndrome. They're just Danny and Will. Just two cute little boys.

So special.

So different.

So the same.

So happy.

So...normal.


Danny and Will. :)


Oh Danny Boy...

The last lines of this song by Conway Twitty are often sung when Dan's around. Sometimes it drives him nuts. ;) Sometimes he loves it. ;)

7 comments:

Michelle F said...

Very sweet! I have never met Will - but Danny gives me the running hug everytime I see him and he doesn't even know my name! I am "Jodi and Laura's sister" you really can't help but love him -what a blessing! He brings joy to everyone that he encounters.

Anonymous said...

I needed to read something like this the way my day started. I always have felt that "special" children always go to special families. Your family has been blessed. Watching him with all the other boys when we were there at Easter time was really heartwarming. He seemed just like all the other boys trying to keep up with them, whispering to each other during church etc. It was so cute. It seems like nothing slows him down.

Sue said...

I saw this on dmarie poem place and sent it to Frank & Tina. Their little Noelle has touched our lives in so many ways too. I've said it on your Mom's blog but to know Danny is to love Danny. He is everybody's "Dan the Man!"

Heaven's Special Child
Author: Unknown



A meeting was held quite far from earth.
"It's time again for another birth."
Said the Angels to the Lord above,
"This special child will need much love.

His progress may seem very slow,
Accomplishments he may not show;
And he'll require extra care
From folks he meets way down there.

He may not run or laugh or play;
His thoughts may seem quite far away.
In many ways he won't adapt,
And he'll be known as handicapped.

So let's be careful where he's sent;
We want his life to be content.
Please, Lord, find the parents who
Will do a special job for You.

They will not realize right away
The leading role they're asked to play;
But with this child sent from above,
Comes stronger faith and richer love.

And soon they'll know the privilege given,
In caring for this gift from Heaven.
Their precious charge, so meek and mild,
Is Heaven's very special child."

Junkyard Jennifer said...

That poem is beautiful. And perfect. :) (Thanks for sharing).

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Michelle ~ Will would run to hug you too. :) But the difference would be that he would more than likely *remember* your name. Williams Syndrome children have remarkable memories. And we've seen that in Will. He can always remember people's names! It's really cool.

Judy ~ We feel so blessed to be a part of their lives. That's why I wanted to write this post because I feel that we have been doubly blessed by two very special little boys. Each in their own special way brings so much joy to us!

Yvonne said...

ditto on everything said...
"Oh Danny Boy" has been a favorite of mine for many years and once at a restaurant celebrating a few June birthdays there was a strolling singer (i don't know what else to call them)- I requested that song when they got to our table AND they knew the words. It's so pretty and a little haunting, the melody.
Also, if any of you remember JPMcCarthy from WJR radio in Detroit, when he passed away unexpectedly, that song was played by a bagpiper at his funeral.

Anne said...

William Syndrome kids are very articulate and have unbelievable memoires. I once read an article where they had tested a Down Syndrome child and William Syndrome child each the same age. One question was to name as many animals as they could. The DS child named, dog, pig, cow, dog. The WS said Hippopotomas, Tyronnasaurous Rex, platypus, armadillo, (and about five more exotic animals)! Even though Will is only five years old, once he meets you he will never forget your name!