Monday, July 23, 2007

Standing on a Soap Box

It's about time to settle in for the night.

Yeah right. I'll be up for awhile. Lol. Not because of Carter but because of my biological tendency to do so. ;) I've been a night-owl my whole life. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Not that I'm a dog... but... well... you know what I mean. ;)

Carter's doing so much better! As of bedtime, this evening, he only had a runny nose and no wheezing. (Knock-on-wood). I'm planning to pull him out once before I go to bed to give him nebs though...just to be on the safe side.

He really was not doing good on Saturday night. His breathing had me questioning over and over whether or not I should bring him in.

I could get on a soap box here ;) about the government and health insurance but I'll just say that we live in a country that has so much to offer and yet there are so many people who cannot afford health insurance. There is something wrong with that picture. And yet, they don't qualify for state assistance either. I've read over and over that we're the norm. That there are so many others like us (a lot of them self-employed) who can't afford the astronomical costs of health insurance and yet are unable to get assistance for health care coverage from the state. And every time Carter gets sick there is always that stress of not having that health insurance. I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining about it like "woe is me." But I do complain about the system when normal people like us, who have nothing extravagant in their lives, can't afford a thing like insurance. Something that many take for granted. :) Ok. I...um...ok...I'm stepping off... Yep. Ok. I'm done. ;)

It's 10:30 p.m. and 84 degrees. I'm so thankful for A/C this week! I ran into Janelle (my sister-in-law) at Wal-Mart today, picking up a fan because they don't have it. I feel for them and anyone else out there who doesn't have it. (Cringe). That will be us in a few short weeks. :) It hardly cools off enough at night to cool the house down. That wouldn't be too comfortable for sleeping. I'm really hoping we'll have air next year...

Edited to add: Even as I wrote that, I'm realizing how spoiled I am. I grew up without air. My mom and dad have it now. But I'm just taking it for granted that we'll have it...someday. It was once a luxury. Still is, far as I'm concerned but one I sure hope to live with. ;)

Growing up I remember many a hot and sticky night...trying to sleep. The windows open in the bedrooms. All the windows closed in the living room/kitchen except for the one with a fan blowing all of the hot air out of the house. On a really lucky night, it might cool down just a little, enough for us to feel a soft breeze as the cool air was sucked in through the windows of our room. A small reprieve until the next day we could head out to swim.

Although, we didn't have air, we had a pool. Now there is a luxury I could live with! :) When it was really hot, we'd take a refreshing dip to cool off just before heading to bed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say I agree w/ you on the health insurance. We have to buy our own since my dh is self-employed. : ( And boy is it expensive, even for the bare minimum! Just have to say, those people who are lucky enough to get insurance through their employer, they sure are lucky!

Sue said...

We paid lots for bare minimum insurance for years. We now pay for 1/2 of our insurance and it's the same amount but we do have good coverage. Makes me sick to think of the nice addition we could put on if we didn't have that bill but with lots of kids and many health issues, we can't afford not to have insurance.

Michelle F said...

I hear you on the insurance issue...each state is different and it seems some offer more affordable plans than others. Since we live in NM and Chad's company is in AZ we have to get individual plans - but would you believe that NM does not have any ind. plans that cover maternity - NOT AN OPTION. So wish me luck if we get pregnant!

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Michelle ~ You and me both! :) (On the luck when we're pregnant). It really does bite because I had no insurance for Aapo either. We've had it intermittently (sp?) during the years. So far, it's been far less expensive to pay for all of Carter's meds (which we can't always buy either) along with a doctor's visit here and there (than to pay for health insurance).

Cami & Sue ~ :) It can make you sick to think of how much you pay and how little it covers. You can pay hundreds of dollars a month only to turn around and have a several thousand dollar deductible! I've got high hopes that something will change...some year. Everywhere you read (Reader's Digest, newspapers...) there is talk of a healthcare crisis and that something needs to be done. I don't expect a miracle. Or even a fast change. But it gives me hope that something will be done about it...some year. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the A/C issue....I grew up without it and remember spending some nights downstairs where it was cooler but I have it now and would really rather not live without it again! ;)

Bummer on the health insurance....it's especially stressful with kids who have health issues, I'll bet! Maybe the next administration will straighten out the mess!