Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Watching the Oak Tree Grow

One way to prevent a lump in your throat...is to take 24 pictures of your child on their first day of school.

I didn't even think about being sad until the bus pulled away and I started to walk back to the house and paused and gave myself two minutes to cry. And now I'm fine. But mostly I cried because I didn't even say goodbye to her!

She was so excited. I was so excited. I kept snapping pictures and even as the bus came, I was taking pictures. She was all antsy to get on and I could barely get her to turn around to take a picture of her getting on the bus. And I didn't say goodbye! When I told Mark, he just grinned at me and said,"She doesn't care." But I feel awful! I hope she has a good day. I've been a bit of a wreck the past couple of days. I honestly didn't think I'd feel like that. *I* couldn't fall asleep last night. Long after everyone else was sawing logs, I was still feeling restless. {Worrying about everything that could go wrong in school for the next 13 years of her life}.

I woke her up this morning and she just sorta gorkled. Ok. I know that's not a real word but she just made some of those snorkley sounds that you make when you're out of it. And I thought, "Oh no. She's changed her mind. She's not going to get up." But two minutes later she was up and at 'em and all set to go. So out the door we went to get a couple of pictures and for some reason the camera kept going, long after a couple...and I got 24. But I'm only posting several.

Nikayda's excitement, standing by the oak tree.

{Makes it so much easier on Mom. Her excitement not the oak tree}.

I spontaneously decided this is where first day of school pictures will be taken; by the oak tree.

And she's off...down to the bus stop.

One quick "turn around" and a smile!
Here comes the bus!

I had one of her getting on the bus but when I cropped it, I couldn't publish it in this post. {I wanted to crop out her driver, for security reasons}. Maybe I'll post it another time.

Oh man. I'm such a H******n {my maiden name}. I'll probably get all sappy off and on today. And I'll feel horrible if anything goes wrong today and I didn't even give her a hug and a kiss and an 'I love you'. I always do that. And I can't believe on her first day of school, I forgot in all the excitement of the morning!

14 comments:

Yvonne said...

I love the shot of the school bus off in the distance making its way to your oldest. Certainly you aren't alone Jennifer.
I love this quote by Dr. Suess I think...
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are one who'll decide where you'll go. Oh, the places you'll go."

Amanda Kay said...

This makes me want to cry!! I can't believe little Kayds is going to school! waa! But she looks so cute and proud! I hope she has a super fantastic day!! Can't wait to hear about her coming adventures!

Sue said...

She looks so proud and excited! It's better you were so involved in the pictures so you didn't have time to cry in front of her. And...she knows you love her and she will have a great day anyway!!!
Welcome to the early mornings of a school Mom!

Anne said...

I can hardly believe how these five years have flown. She looks SO excited. She's going to LOVE school. I can't wait to hear how it went.

Love,
Mom

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Oh man, all of your nice comments are making me cry again. ;) Lol!

{I'm blaming the tears on being super-tired. And not only from having to send my little girl off into this great big world.}

KS said...

Oh she looks so cute. I just love those kinds of pictures when you know they are so proud & excited!!!

I love her lunchbox, waterbottle hanging out and the bus coming down the road!!!!!!Awesome, pictures are priceless and just wait to the last day of school and do it again. It's amazing how they seem to grow up on you in such a short year. Believe me, I say short year they seem to go faster and faster all the time.

Soon........you will be saying shoot its summer vacation and the kids are so hyper again. Can I do this when I am so used to a schedule and peace and quiet.

Have a wonderful day and have your camera ready when she is jumping off that bus with a backpack full of papers she is so proud to show you!!

Anonymous said...

She looks so cute and big and ready to get off to school. :)

I absolutely love that last picture of her watching the bus come!

emily :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Nikayda is already going to school! She is so sweet:)I am sure she is having so much fun!

Anonymous said...

She looks so adorable getting ready for her very first day of school! How excited she must have been watching that bus drive down the road towards her. : )

(hope you're doing better with it as the day goes on)

And it's so nice to have one spot where you take pictures every school year. My mom always took our picture in front of a bush, it was amazing to see the changes each year!

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Thank you for your well wishes on Nikayda's first day!

And Cami, I am (doing better) ~ Thank you! :) But I still feel a bit apprehensive about how her day is going...worrying that she has gotten sad or scared... the usual stuff.

Anonymous said...

i was thinking about her this morning at school! glad she was so excited!! cant wait to hear all about it!!!

Cyndi said...

Adorable pics, Jen! Happy First Day of School to Nikayda (and you, teary, proud mom!). And a new journey begins...

I can't wait to hear about how her first day went!

Anonymous said...

That will be a neat tradition, pictures by your oak tree, what a way to watch both of them grow.

Anonymous said...

what a cutie! i can't wait to see you guys this weekend! and i -love- that bottom picture with the bus coming.. it's awesome.. and i have to agree with amanda.. seeing the pictures and reading your stuff.. it made me want to cry too :P.. see you this weekend!! :)