Saturday, September 1, 2007

Vintage {Double} Metal Bed

I love getting tipped-off to a good sale. (That's "tipped-off", not "ticked-off").

A while back, Jessica (Keith H.) called about a garage sale she thought I might be interested in. {I couldn't find the post about it, to do the link for you...} Anyway, I ended up stocking up on vintage doors and old wooden {handmade} picture frames and a bunch of odds'n'ends. Well, yesterday while we were at Target, Steph (Kevin H.) called and said she was at a sale with a couple of metal beds. {She knew I was looking for them for our kids}. And she had seen some Fisher Price Little People buildings: a market and an A-frame house.

Because I didn't get home until about 7, last night, I cruised over there this morning. The beds, doubles, were sold. At 10 bucks, I'd a feeling they would be. But I asked if she had any more.

Sure enough.

There was another double in the garage. And it was the EXACT style that I've been looking for. I don't know how to explain it, and I couldn't find it on-line to show you. I'll get a picture later. It's being delivered around 5. The antique shop owners, where the garage sale was being held, just so happen to be our neighbors and volunteered to drop it off on their way home. (He was a gym teacher for 37 years at the school. He just retired). I'm so excited to get it! It needs to be painted but from what I could see, it was in good shape otherwise.

So, it's for Nikayda, temporarily. Now I need a mattress {and that fresh coat of paint} and we'll be all set. I'm on the hunt for a vintage metal canopy {single-size} bed for her. {I've wanted one, myself, my whole life}. This double bed will go out in the bunkhouse eventually.

Here are my morning treasures... they're still dirty, as is our van, but I'm still moving junk from Sara's place.

I picked up the Fisher Price Little People A-frame house (with some furniture!!) and the Little Market (with a car). A white crate. (I love white everything, so I was particularly thrilled with this find). A very old drawer, in perfect condition. (See detail below, 3rd picture). I love that crackled paint with a slightly pale green tinge to it. I also got 2 magazines (One a Martha Stewart Living Christmas Issue and the other a Country Living decorating with white and blue issue). And a handful of vintage Little Golden books. Oh and let's not forget Rainbow Bright! A circa 1983 Rainbow Bright doll. I have no idea what I'm going to do with her but I remember her from when I was little. (Although, I never had one). And she was in excellent condition for 10 cents. Maybe I'll clean her up and give her to Nikayda...

I am so drawn to vintage children's books for their beautiful illustrations and whimsical story lines. You just don't see these styles anymore in the newer books. I already have We Like Kindergarten and Baby's Christmas. I may let the kids look at these two or do a project with them (i.e. frame them to hang on the wall). One of my favorite illustrators of all time, of vintage children's books, is Eloise Wilkin. I love the beautiful, cherubic children that she's illustrated for so many books. The 3 that are illustrated by her are Baby's Christmas, We Like Kindergarten and Wonders of Nature. (At least, I'm 99% sure she did the last one, the page with the author and illustrator is missing).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great finds! Would you believe I got rid of that same A-frame house a while back? It was from my husband's grandmas house and he and his sibs played with it as kids there. I think I did pass it on to another sibling anyway. My kids just didn't play with it and I was getting rid of stuff. so, out it went! -Kathryn

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Lol! :) I'm glad I found one, although, the ramp/door is broken (it doesn't stay in place very good). I've been wanting one for my collection. :)

Sue said...

We love the same illustrator too!! I saw this and posted a bit about it on mine so I could show the book I found at a garage sale. If I ever part with the books, I'll send them your way.