Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Junkyard Jen

I'm warning you - I'm kinda tired. It's been a busy day, working on the endless task of packing up all my junk. Little do some people know that I mean that in every literal sense. Heh. Heh. :)

Filled the van today and that was just with the stuff I bought from the junk store in town. What was I suppose to do when they had a big sign out front that said "Moving Sale"?! I just figured they were helping me out. ;)

And let me tell you, it was my lucky day!

"Fill a box for a buck" and the sale had only started an hour before I arrived. The guy was joking that "it was the best idea he ever had in his whole life". (He wouldn't have to move everything). I laughed and said,"It was the best idea for us." (Not sure how lucky of an idea it was for him but as for us handful of junk collectors who had wandered in, we were mighty pleased.)

So...I filled up...oh...about four or five boxes and that also included larger items that could fit. ;)

So.

I filled my van.

For six bucks.

It was my lucky day.
Sara watched my kids today. Such a treat! I moved a bunch of stuff to the house this afternoon. Now I need a day to straighten out the basement so I can move the rest of our stuff out there...soon

*****************
And what's in a name? For anyone wondering why in the world I'd claim a nickname like "Junkyard Jen", I feel compelled to explain that while it's not my first or favorite choice of a name, it is indeed original. I can't think of another soul on this planet who'd be preferring to be called "Junkyard Jen". Can you? So I figured it'd differentiate me between all the "Jens" and "Jennifers" out there in blog land.

Because I'm pretty sure I won't be running into anyone else claiming a name like "Junkyard".

Little did I know, so many years ago, when my brother Matt was mad at me one time and told me that I had too much junk (that was nothing) and called my bedroom a junkyard that I'd be claiming the name on a blog, one day. ;)

The name came about because, at the time when we were kids, the Garbage Pail Kids were a big hit. They were a nasty spinoff of the Cabbage Patch Kids. And I'm warning you, they're absolutely disgusting and gross. (Don't say I didn't warn you...they have their own website). There were baseball card-style cards with Garbage Pail Kids on them. They were pretty sick, to be sure. And they always had disgusting names. Hence the name "Junkyard Jen". :)

And just for the record...it was not a name that stuck, at the time. (Thank goodness!) :) No one has ever called me that other than that one time...or two... And I realize that when you read it it probably brings to mind a gross and disgusting junkyard, greasy parts, garbage, the works! but I'm willing to live with that in order to have a name that differentiates me from others when I'm online. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the Garbage Pail Kids !! I had forgotten about them.

Anonymous said...

you werent kidding about them being gross! they are quite ugly! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen- I just learned about your blog recently, so I decided to check it out... it's been fun to read! I also remember the garbage pail kids- they creeped me out:)
Ginger

Amanda Kay said...

Actually, I hate to be the one to inform you...BUT...I think we would call you Junkyard Jenny behind your back when we were mad at you...woops...and we even said JENNY!!

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Amanda ~ I know you guys did...but...shhhhhhh!! Shhhhhhh!!! ;)

Hi Ginger! :) ~ It's funny having a blog because I don't usually tell everyone when I see them. Not because I don't want people to know about it but because I feel like it sounds so dorky to say,"Did you know I have a blog?" I feel like it's like saying,"Did you know I write about my whole life for the whole world to read about?!" ;) Lol. If I email, I usually mention it though but in talking, not always. But I really don't mind if anyone is reading it or finds out about it and I love when I get comments. :) I have no idea if our family all knows about it or not... :) So I'm glad you found out about it!

Riss ~ Aren't they?!

Eliz ~ We must've all been mesmerized by them at one time or another. :) It was like you couldn't help it because they were so unbelievably disgusting! We had a bunch of trading cards when we were little and we'd trade with the neighbor kids. Ugh! Lol. :)