Thursday, May 10, 2007

We're Home!!

Feels good to be back on the computer! Kind of missed blogging when I was gone. I thought about it but I was on vacation and it's still work even if it's fun! Looking forward to getting caught up on everyone else's business today too.

I'm almost as excited to be home as I was to go on vacation. It always feels good to get back to your own bed and your own routine after being gone. We all had fun in Detroit! (I still hate saying Detroit as we live nowhere near motown...but I suppose that's what we're all used to saying.)

If we make it there, next year, we're coming the weekend before junk-picking so we can scavenge all week. We managed to fill up the trailer (with the help of dad's old John Deere and a bunch of accessories - plow, scoop etc... for Mark. He's very excited about it). (Picture on mom's blog. I'll post my own pictures soon).

The past two years haven't been the greatest for junk-pickin' - people are hanging onto their stuff like you wouldn't believe - but we still found a bunch of goodies, more than I can list. We made off with a 1950's style kitchen cupboard, (one of my favorite finds - I had to kick & shove a few rival junk-pickers, or 'junkers' as I like to call us, out of the way to stake my claim - but the prize was worth it!), a handful of vintage (sounds so much fancier than 'old' doesn't it?) doors and door knobs, old windows, an old light-green handmade table (which I also love, it's like a sofa-table, long & narrow), a white metal plant stand or bookshelf?? (it has 3 shelves), toys & books for the kids (like-new condition! It's unbelievable what people just throw out!), a huge metal-thing, like a vent cover or something... - I have no idea what it is but I love it! I'm going to use it for a magnet/memo board and Mark found a stereo and some huge speakers, at separate houses. They (speakers) worked like a charm when he hooked them up at my mom & dad's - however we'll see how they manage after spending some time in the pouring rain...

We put a tarp over everything on Tuesday night but the wind blew it off the few things that actually needed its protection. And it rained a couple of times during the first few hours of the trip at which point the tarp had shredded almost completely in the back and was totally useless. Seems to be the tradition - our stuff getting rained-on on our way home. Happened last year too and the back of an antique dresser I had picked up at a garage sale for five bucks got warped. I was just about devastated because it had been in 'mint' condition but when it dried it almost completely flattened back to its previous state and I didn't have to replace it afterall!

For me, the monetary value of things means absolutely nothing. But the sentimental value is everything. That's why I treasure the things I find junk picking (and garage saleing). And that's why the junk gifts at my birthday party are some of my favorites that I've ever gotten!

My family threw a 30th birthday party on Sunday for me. I was completely shocked and it was totally unexpected! I'm just glad Amanda showed up with balloons before everyone else came or there would've been a big water-shed when everyone showed up! I was definitely taken by surprise.

But best of all I got a lot of good junk. So, thank you to my family and thank you to each of you who came and for all the wonderful gifts! It was an awesome day and it meant a lot! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The trip home (through the U.P.) took almost 16 hours with the trailer-load of junk we took back. We made a haul between junk-picking and garage saleing! We took off around 3:45 p.m. (MI time) and got here around 7:30 a.m. (MI time). Long trip! And Mark drove the whole way! I'm getting to be an old lady - not as comfortable in the car anymore. I used to be able to sleep like a baby, in the car, when I'd go out with the kyds. I didn't get as much sleep as I would've liked.

It was Stephanie's (Haverinen) birthday yesterday and Vanessa (her sister) had a bunch of ladies over to her (Steph's) house. She's been staying-in with Ian trying to keep him from all the germs, so I'm sure she enjoyed the company! I was bummed because I couldn't make it.

He's put on some weight! He's now over 5 lbs. so that's awesome!

There was also a baby shower for my sister-in-law Lynn (Bekkala married to Kenny Josephson), last night, in Cokato and I was disappointed to miss that too. I didn't really feel like hopping in the car again to drive a six hour round-trip tonight. Like Mark pointed out - that's about halfway to Detroit!

And speaking of baby's, if you haven't heard already, my sister Emily is expecting baby number three in November.

One More Thing

I just had to add this:

After I was all done opening gifts at my birthday, Danny came up to me holding up one finger and reaching into his pocket with the other hand, "Wait, Jennifer... one more thing" and held out a handful of change.

His own money. (He had just earned for throwing out someones plate after they ate!)

Priceless.

My favorite gift!

It was only later that I found out it was his own. (I originally thought someone had given it to him so he would have something to give me). Pretty cool.

And One More Thing

Happy Anniversary to Brent & Jessica!!
Five years!! Congrats & Happy Anniversary.

And Happy Belated Anniversary to Gordon & Marilyn (yesterday)! 49 years. Wow! Next year is their 50th!

(If I have my dates right... I've been known to write the wrong dates when I switch calendars each year.)

5 comments:

Sue said...

Hey be nice to the competition!! Afterall, we did graciously let you take the cabinet. LOL Glad you made it home and are tickled with your finds.

Junkyard Jennifer said...

Sorry.......had to defend myself. LOL

(Wasn't easy - but we really did swing back around for it.)

Boy, I would've had to fire my driver if you guys got it. :) He wouldn't stop for me on the way into Sharyn & Greg's sub.

That was a close call....

Amanda Kay said...

Finally caught up on life. I am glad you still love all of your junk!

Amy L said...

I am always writing the wrong dates/ages when I switch calendars. I thought that Gordon turned 70 this year, but it is NEXT year! Thanks to Anne we straigtened that out.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your junk-picking experience!

Junkyard Jennifer said...

I might remember the birthdays/anniversaries but I'm so bad about sending out the cards...

I got a card & made Marilyn a gift for her 70th, last fall.

But where is it right now?

Sitting on top of my frig!!