Thursday, March 8, 2007

Recipe

In compliance of a recent request for this recipe, I have decided to post it. It's from my sister-in-law Christi whom I believe came across it in a Taste of Home magazine or some such as that. It's a favorite in our family. It makes two large loaves of meat loaf. I usually make a half recipe for our family. If you make it, let me know if you enjoy it! It may seem complicated but I assure you that it's not. I don't even like meat loaf (at least not that much) but I love this.

Meat Loaf Wellington
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1/2 c. ketchup
  • 2 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt (Lawry's)
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp ground mustard
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1 1/4 lb. lean ground beef
  • 1 lb. ground pork
  • 1/3 c. chopped onion
  • 3/4 c. dry bread crumbs
  • 2 crust pie recipe (For half: I use one-crust pie recipe from Betty Crocker p. 117, in my book)

Madeira Sauce:

  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 5 T flour
  • 2 c. beef consomme (I use Campbell's)
  • 1 T tomato paste
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
  • Dash cloves
  • 1/2 c. beef broth
  • 2 c. sliced fresh mushrooms (I use 8 or 16 oz. pkg. - Mark and I love mushrooms. If you (GASP) don't like them, you don't need to use them.)
  • 2 T olive oil

In a bowl, combine 2 eggs, ketchup, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper. Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Add onion and bread crumbs; mix gently. Shape into two loaves, about 9-in. x 3-in.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pie crust into an 18-in. x 16-in. rectangle. Invert meat loaves and place in center of pastry; fold short sides of pastry over loaf. Fold long sides over loaf and pastry; seal seams. Place seam side down on a rack in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Beat remaining egg; brush over crust. Bake at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 160°-170°.

Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in flour until smooth. Stir in the consomme, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary and cloves. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in broth.

In a skillet, saute mushrooms in olive oil until tender. Serve the mushrooms and sauce over meat loaf slices. (I usually serve this with mashed potatoes and use the sauce as a gravy.)*

Yield: 2 meat loaves and 2 1/2 c. sauce

*Note: The sauce has an ever-so-slight pink tone due to the tomato paste. This is normal and will not affect your enjoyment of it (I hope). If you wish, you can add 1/4 tsp. of browning sauce if that will make you feel better. :)

No comments: