Thursday, March 8, 2007

Hope and a Haircut

My daughter (I have only one at the moment) just came up to me with a magazine and said, "Mommy, I want my hair cut like this." While it turned out to be a rather cute little haircut, I had to explain to her that her hair is neither that dark nor that thick and that it wouldn't look much like it. Her reply, "Oh." And she walked away.

I have been trying for weeks to convince her that she needs a haircut. She insists she wants her hair long. Unfortunately, the dear girl is blessed with the same fine/not exactly thick/dishwater brown hair as I. How can I convince her that our hair type is much more flattering in a short cut when I insist on having my long at the moment?? Mine may not look that great, but I'm enjoying it because I can pull it up and style it in many ways (i.e. I wear a pony-tail every day.) However, her hair, being only 5 years old, is much much more thin - shall we say stringy-er than mine. So, I am at a loss at finding a viable persuasion to chop her hair!

Recently, I told her that I will be cutting her hair before she goes to school. And now she's been showing me pictures of haircuts that she thinks are cute. (How old is she?) I'm hoping we'll come to a happy conclusion to this story - and soon. I feel too bad to cut her hair before she okay's it - especially when she seems to have her own opinion about it. After all, she is the one who spends 10 minutes in the bathroom each day with the door closed. Then I holler to see what's going on. Her response, "I'm doing my hair!" (Not sure where she learned that - I wear a pony tail - as I mentioned before. And I don't think Mark has been spending that much time on his hair lately.)

No comments: