Thursday, August 16, 2007

Rambling Happy Thoughts

A long rambling about the house
By: a happy girl

I'm sitting down, real quick, to say that I'm liking the pretty pastel paleness of the interiors of my new house. If you've ever wondered what it'd look like inside a cotton candy castle, come on over!

Love it. :)

At the moment, I'm leaning toward dark floors...again. (I tried finding the post that connects with this but I have a bazillion under the "House" label...couldn't find it...not enough time. Gotta move stuff. But I tried.) :) Basically, for anyone who needs to catch up, I've gone from wanting white floors (love white), to a very dark stain, to white floors (my latest reasoning: so I can see any stray ticks that land on the floor), and now back to very dark stain. The dark will ground the whole house so-to-speak. So at the moment that's what I'm leaning toward. Again.

BUT...

Mark is painting the raw floors for the time-being. (We'll put in flooring later.) And we went with "Navajo white" for some rooms and a pale "beige grey" for the others. It was ten bucks a gallon. We went with it. ;) Actually, we really lucked out because I wanted to go with white on the raw floor - just to try it out! Very light. The whole house would be SHOCKING to anyone if they saw it undecorated. It is so incredibly bright. And happy.

I think it's happy.

I have some ideas to ground it and pull it all together, though, during the decorating process. Think red. ;)

I've always wanted a retro, cottage-y, beach house-style house. I married the greatest guy in the world. He could care less about decorating and interiors. I am the luckiest girl on earth! Unless, he absolutely doesn't like something, which is so, so rare, he doesn't care. In fact, I'm not sure if there has ever been something that he absolutely was opposed to. I was surprised when he told me that he liked the color of our new kitchen, after he finished painting it. I'm not quite sure if most people would like it. And I don't even care (I say that as sincerely as possible) because I love it. :) But I was really glad that he liked it.

He's the guy who let me do pale-purple in our living room once. And he liked the warmness to the place after it was painted. See? Aren't I lucky. But, rest assured, I have no pale-purple plans for this house. I'm over my purple phase. For now. I used to LOVE it. Now, it's pale retro blues and greens. And red. I love bright red. Fire engine red.

Oh and the living room and loft? White. We went with white, after all.

Mark started to the cut corners in the living room last night, and when he came home, told me that it's the same color as the primer.

Whoops!

I almost panicked. But I quickly checked myself.

I didn't want a stark-white. I wanted a warm white. In my desire to avoid a dingy white, I went bright white. We thought it looked like a warm, bright white when we picked it out yesterday. Oh well. It's only paint. We can change it in a year or ten. I don't even care because we're finally getting a house! I'll just make sure there is a lot of color on the walls by way of frames and pictures. I'm sure that won't be a problem. ;)

Just a little disappointing because when we painted our remodel job in Michigan, we had used the most beautiful creamy white I'd ever seen. Mark loved it too. So, we wrote it down to use in our house. This house. Do you think we have any idea where that piece of paper is at the moment?!

Luckily (or is that unluckily?) white needs to be repainted fairly often. Hopefully, by the time it needs a new coat, we'll have found the slip of paper. Or a similar shade of white by means of a paint chip. I call it almond white. No idea why. It just sounds like a good name for it. But it's not the right name.

One more week!

We have to be out of here by the 25th. Now, would be a good time to start packing. But. I haven't. I've started moving stuff though, if that's any consolation to anyone. Me? Anyone? Who does this affect anyway?! Lol! :)

And my sister-in-law Suzy offered to watch my kids tomorrow. I can't say how much that is appreciated! It's so much easier to focus with the kids out of my hair.

Ah! The art of procrastination. At least, I'm staying true to myself during this whole process. I always did work better under pressure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your beachy style! I remember reading once that every room should at least have one item that's black...sounds like your red will work this way....it's going to be so neat judging by your vision for it. How fun!

I can identify with you on the hubby part too...I once painted our living room a two tone orange and he didn't mind. It was a very cozy romm but much too orange...I repainted taupe and it looks so much better.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the pictures of all the colors! Our living room walls get so dirty (how does that happen?!) that I feel like just painting them again instead of trying to clean them. ;) It's always fun to get some cool colors on the walls. Have fun!
-Kathryn

Junkyard Jennifer said...

That's what I'm the most afraid of with these light walls! (Getting dirty). Lol! At least, paint is a reasonably priced makeover option for the house, if necessary. ;) I just jumped in with these colors and I love them. And I can change them, if we get tired of them.